Wednesday, March 14, 2012

After Sunset


Seagulls wading the surf shortly after sunset at Robert Moses Beach

The beauty about photography is that you never know what to expect and rule #1 is to always keep an open mind. I have come to learn that if I have any type of preconceived notion of what sort of picture I want to capture, I more often than not fail miserably. This might be especially true for landscape photography, where you can never 100% predict the weather, the clouds, the wind and the lighting conditions resulting from all of the above. I came to shoot what looked like a promising sunset, yet ended up being bland and boring and disappearing half way through behind a thick layer of haze. Yet the light reflected beautifully in the sand once the sun had set and those gulls just made for perfect models.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am very sorry to see that you went over to the Facebook crowd. I just came across your blog today after seeing this image on Google. I am a long way away from you out here in the desert, in "sin city"...

Yet your blog keep me enthralled and drilling into other posts. Thank you for reminding me what a blog is supposed to be. We get too caught up in how many people read our blog, when all the while it should actually be for ourselves.

I will now contribute more to my own.

Respectfully, gwimagery.com